Trying to put together some history of the WWVRR.
In 1871 Dr. Baker started work on the Columbia River Railroad, using his own money. In Oct. 1875 the 32 miles of track were done. The original line consisted of wooden rail strapped with iron bands. The ties were brought in from the head waters of the Yakima river.
First run was on Oct. 23, 1875 and took 2 1/2 hours.
2 Locomotives were manufactured by the Porter, Bell and Company and shipped from the east around Cape Horn.
Light iron rail replaced the wooden rails in 1876. Dr. Baker sold most of his interest in the railroad in 1878 to the Oregon Steam Navigation Co.
The original O.R. + N. co. depot was located at 10th and Elm. The round houses were located further to the north.
In the early 1900's there were two lines into Walla Walla. The Oregon, Washington railroad and Navigation Co. with a connection at Wallula Wa. And the Northern Pacific with it's connection in Spokane.
from the books Walla Walla by Robert A. Bennett